Things to Know
Introduction To Bulgaria
The Cyrillic Alphabet & Bulgarian Language
Bulgarian Food & Cuisine
Beauty in the past of Bulgaria
Figures of Plovdiv
History of Plovdiv
Traditions & NameDays
International Kissing Day
7/6/2013 11:00:00 AM
Today is International Kissing Day or World Kiss Day. As the author of The Science of Kissing, what better way to celebrate than to share some fascinating facts about kissing:
• The earliest literary evidence for kissing comes from India’s Vedic Sanskrit texts, dating back 3,500 years.
• A passionate kiss can make our pupils dilate – probably one reason so many of us close our eyes.
• Two-thirds of us tilt our heads to the right when we kiss, and it’s not correlated with right-handedness.
• A man is far more likely to prefer sloppy tongue kisses than a woman. The added testosterone from his saliva may serve to enhance her libido over time.
• We are not the only species to engage in kissing-like behaviors. Great apes press their lips together to express excitement, affection, or reconciliation.
• In studies, people remember more of the details about a first kiss than first sexual experience.
• Kissing works like a drug in our bodies, and can promote dopamine – the same neurotransmitter stimulated from addictive drugs like cocaine.
• Our lips are packed with sensitive nerve endings so even a slight brush can send a cascade of pleasurable signals to the brain encouraging us to continue under the right circumstances.
4/17/2014 8:00:00 AM
Holy Thursday is the day when all women are supposed to color bright eggs for Easter family gathering.
Easter thoughts on Christ and his resurrection - the Turin shroud
4/16/2014 10:00:00 AM
Around Easter people always think and talk about miracles and the resurrection of Christ. The story of the Turin Shroud is one of the miraculous stories we have to accept and not seek for expalnati...
Easter Bunny History
4/15/2014 9:00:00 AM
The Easter bunny has its origin in pre-Christian fertility lore.
HOLY WEEK before Easter
4/14/2014 8:00:00 AM
Holy Week is the last week of Lent, the week immediately preceding Easter Sunday.
TSVETNITSA - VRUBNITSA (Palm Sunday)
4/13/2014 7:40:00 AM
Name day of everyone named after a flower, bush or tree (Tsvetelina, Lilia, Yavor, Yassen, Roza, Iglika, Violeta, Varban, Latinka, Temenuga, Karamfila, Zdravko, Kamelia etc).
12.04.1961 - First space flight
4/12/2014 12:10:00 PM
On April 12, 1961, Gagarin became the first human to travel into space in Vostok 1
Today is LAZAROVDEN (St. Lazarus’ Day)
4/12/2014 8:00:00 AM
Name day for everyone having the name of Lazar, Lazo, Lazarina, Lara.
Plovdiv hosts Vinaria 2014 International fair
4/2/2014 10:00:00 AM
VINARIA, the International Exhibition of Vine Growing and Wine Producing opens today
Fools Day (April 1st)
4/1/2014 10:00:00 AM
There are quite a few nations today having in their calendar the April 1st Fools Day. For better or worse, we, Bulgarians, are among them.
Today is the 98th anniversary of Bulgarias staring to use the Gregorian Calendar
3/31/2014 10:00:00 AM
In 1916, at midnight on 31st of March, Bulgaria “jumps” into future – instead of having April 1st as the next day, Bulgarians had April 14th….