Things to Know
Introduction To Bulgaria
The Cyrillic Alphabet & Bulgarian Language
Bulgarian Food & Cuisine
Beauty in the past of Bulgaria
Figures of Plovdiv
History of Plovdiv
Traditions & NameDays
International Kissing Day
7/6/2016 11:00:00 AM
Today is International Kissing Day or World Kiss Day. As the author of The Science of Kissing, what better way to celebrate than to share some fascinating facts about kissing:
• The earliest literary evidence for kissing comes from India’s Vedic Sanskrit texts, dating back 3,500 years.
• A passionate kiss can make our pupils dilate – probably one reason so many of us close our eyes.
• Two-thirds of us tilt our heads to the right when we kiss, and it’s not correlated with right-handedness.
• A man is far more likely to prefer sloppy tongue kisses than a woman. The added testosterone from his saliva may serve to enhance her libido over time.
• We are not the only species to engage in kissing-like behaviors. Great apes press their lips together to express excitement, affection, or reconciliation.
• In studies, people remember more of the details about a first kiss than first sexual experience.
• Kissing works like a drug in our bodies, and can promote dopamine – the same neurotransmitter stimulated from addictive drugs like cocaine.
• Our lips are packed with sensitive nerve endings so even a slight brush can send a cascade of pleasurable signals to the brain encouraging us to continue under the right circumstances.
SEKNOVENIE / EQUINOX (also known as Black Saint John)
8/29/2016 8:00:00 AM
People honor this day as the Equinox (meaning even day, i.e. the length of the day equals the length of the night).
Anniversary of the death of Tsar Boris III
8/28/2016 9:00:00 AM
Tsar Boris III of Bulgaria (January 30, 1894 - August 28, 1943), originally Boris Klemens Robert Maria Pius Ludwig Stanislaus Xaver, son of Ferdinand I, came to the throne in 1918 upon the abdication ...
On August 27 1885 Aleko Konstantinov organized a group of 300 people who climbed the Cherni Vrah peak
8/27/2016 10:42:00 AM
Aleko Konstantinov - Keen tourist and founder of the tourism movement in Bulgaria – on August 27 1885 he organized a group of 300 people who climbed the Cherni Vrah peak 2290m (near Sofia), giving rise to the mass tourist organization.
8/20/2016 8:00:00 AM
The day of Prophet Samuel - Name day of everyone named Samuil.
St. IVAN RILSKI (also known as St John of Rila)
8/18/2016 8:00:00 AM
St Ivan Rilski had lived in many places until he finally settled in the wonderful Rila Mountain where he founded a monastery that has been existing until now, for more than 1000 years.
SVETA BOGORODITSA (Holy Virgin Marys Day)
8/15/2016 8:31:00 AM
The Orthodox Church names this day Dormition of the Theotokos, also known in Eastern Orthodox world as Assumption Day or Holy Virgin Marys Day
Transfiguration of our Lord Jesus Christ
8/6/2016 7:43:00 AM
August 6th, the Orthodox Church celebrates the Transfiguration of our Lord Jesus Christ.
MAKAVEYAN DAYS - August 1-12
8/1/2016 9:00:00 AM
The traditional holidays called "Makaveyan Days" last for 12 days - from August 1st to August 12th.
7/28/2016 9:00:00 AM
The Orthodox Church commemorates on July 15, 16, and 17 the Saint Martyrs Kirik and Julita, Atinogen and Marina.
ST. PANTELEYMON, the All-Merciful
7/27/2016 9:00:00 AM
Name day of everyone named Panteley, Dobra, Dobrin, Dobrina.T