Things to Know
Introduction To Bulgaria
The Cyrillic Alphabet & Bulgarian Language
Bulgarian Food & Cuisine
Beauty in the past of Bulgaria
Figures of Plovdiv
History of Plovdiv
Traditions & NameDays
International Kissing Day
7/6/2014 11:00:00 AM
Today is International Kissing Day or World Kiss Day. As the author of The Science of Kissing, what better way to celebrate than to share some fascinating facts about kissing:
• The earliest literary evidence for kissing comes from India’s Vedic Sanskrit texts, dating back 3,500 years.
• A passionate kiss can make our pupils dilate – probably one reason so many of us close our eyes.
• Two-thirds of us tilt our heads to the right when we kiss, and it’s not correlated with right-handedness.
• A man is far more likely to prefer sloppy tongue kisses than a woman. The added testosterone from his saliva may serve to enhance her libido over time.
• We are not the only species to engage in kissing-like behaviors. Great apes press their lips together to express excitement, affection, or reconciliation.
• In studies, people remember more of the details about a first kiss than first sexual experience.
• Kissing works like a drug in our bodies, and can promote dopamine – the same neurotransmitter stimulated from addictive drugs like cocaine.
• Our lips are packed with sensitive nerve endings so even a slight brush can send a cascade of pleasurable signals to the brain encouraging us to continue under the right circumstances.
POKROV BOGORODICHEN (Holy Protection of Mother of God)
10/1/2014 8:43:00 AM
Pokrov, as the feast HOLY PROTECTION OF THE MOTHER OF GOD is popular in BG, is a Slavonic term meaning “veil” or “mantle”, signifying protection. This feast today is primarily observed by the Eastern Slavic Churches - Catholic and Orthodox.
Plovdiv marks European Bat Night
9/30/2014 2:52:08 PM
The European Bat Night will be marked tonight at King Simeon gardens in Plovdiv.
70th edition of Plovdiv Technical Fair opens
9/29/2014 2:00:00 PM
The 70th edition of the International Autumn Technical Fair opened in Bulgaria’s second largest city Plovdiv.
Tsvetana Pironkova starts in China Open with victory
9/26/2014 3:33:19 PM
Bulgaria’s best tennis lady Tsvetana Pironkova started with a victory her performance at the China Open tournament in Beijing
Balkan Fair of Crafts 2014
9/25/2014 3:34:32 PM
Regional Chamber of Crafts Plovdiv organizes Autumn Balkan Fair of Crafts in Plovdiv.
The Academy of Music, Dance and Fine Arts, Plovdiv marks 50th jubilee
9/24/2014 3:45:12 PM
Plovdiv has many reasons to feel a sense of pride this year. After being elected Bulgaria’s European capital of culture, 2019 at the end of September, it is now marking another important event – the 50th jubilee of the Academy of Music, Dance and Fine Arts in the city.
September 22nd - Independence Day
9/22/2014 8:00:00 AM
September 22nd, 1908, Bulgarian Knjaz Ferdinand declared the Independence of Bulgaria in the former capital of Bulgaria.
VYARA, NADEZHDA and LYUBOV (Faith, Hope and Love) and their mother SOPHIA
9/17/2014 8:00:00 AM
Name day of everyone named Vyara, Vera, Veronika, Nadezhda, Nadya, Lyuben, Lyubomir, Lyuba, Sophia, Sofka, Sevda.
Back to school
9/15/2014 9:00:00 AM
School opening day in Bulgaria
KRUSTOVDEN (The Holy Cross Day)
9/14/2014 8:00:00 AM
Name day of everyone named Krustina, Krustyo, Krustan, Kancho, Stavri.