Things to Know
Introduction To Bulgaria
The Cyrillic Alphabet & Bulgarian Language
Bulgarian Food & Cuisine
Beauty in the past of Bulgaria
Figures of Plovdiv
History of Plovdiv
Traditions & NameDays
International Kissing Day
7/6/2016 11:00:00 AM
Today is International Kissing Day or World Kiss Day. As the author of The Science of Kissing, what better way to celebrate than to share some fascinating facts about kissing:
• The earliest literary evidence for kissing comes from India’s Vedic Sanskrit texts, dating back 3,500 years.
• A passionate kiss can make our pupils dilate – probably one reason so many of us close our eyes.
• Two-thirds of us tilt our heads to the right when we kiss, and it’s not correlated with right-handedness.
• A man is far more likely to prefer sloppy tongue kisses than a woman. The added testosterone from his saliva may serve to enhance her libido over time.
• We are not the only species to engage in kissing-like behaviors. Great apes press their lips together to express excitement, affection, or reconciliation.
• In studies, people remember more of the details about a first kiss than first sexual experience.
• Kissing works like a drug in our bodies, and can promote dopamine – the same neurotransmitter stimulated from addictive drugs like cocaine.
• Our lips are packed with sensitive nerve endings so even a slight brush can send a cascade of pleasurable signals to the brain encouraging us to continue under the right circumstances.
Today is Hugging Day
1/21/2017 8:00:00 AM
National Hugging Day is celebrated on January 21st of each year
PETLYOVDEN (Rooster’s Day)
1/20/2017 9:00:00 AM
Name day of everyone named Efthimios (Evtim, Euthim), (the name derives from the Sanskrit word "en", which designates infinity, the hidden god. Some people also interpret the name with the meaning of "kindliness")
Today is ATANASOVDEN (St. Athanasius Day)
1/18/2017 8:00:00 AM
Name day of everyone named Atanas, Atanaska, Nasso, Nacho, Tinka, Nasya, Totka.
Today is ANTONOVDEN (St. Anthony`s Day)
1/17/2017 9:00:00 AM
Name day of everyone named Anton (meaning priceless in Latin), Antonia, Antoanneta, Antoan, Andon, Doncho, Donka, Donna, Donny, Donyo, Tonyo, Tony.
YUZHNITSI - VERIZHNITSI FEASTDAY
1/16/2017 9:00:00 AM
That Feast Day is the first one of the group “Antonovden & Atanassovden” (in the period Jan.16-18) and acts as preparation to the next two larger holidays.
1/12/2017 9:00:00 AM
Name day of everyone named Tatiana or Tanya (coming from Latin with the meaning "the one who arranges").
BABINDEN (OLD MIDWIVES' DAY)
1/8/2017 9:00:00 AM
The legend has it that the Egyptian king ordered the old women, who were maternity nurses, to kill all newborn Jewish boys. The old women did not submit to that order because they were afraid of
Today is IVANOVDEN (St. Johns Day)
1/7/2017 9:00:00 AM
Name day of everyone named Ivan, Vanyo, Vanya, Yoan/Ioan, Yoanna/Ioanna, Yonko/Yonka, Yoto, Ivaylo, Ivo, Ivona, Kaloyan, Jan/Jean, and Janna whose...
Today is BOGOYAVLENIE / YORDANOVDEN (Epiphany)
1/6/2017 9:00:00 AM
Name day of everyone named Yordan/ka (named after the holy river of Jordan), Yonko/a, Daniel/a, Bozhan/a, Bozhil, Boyan/a, Bogdan/a and Bozhidar/a(both meaning "God's gift"), Bogolyub/a, Boncho, Bonka, Bogomil/a (meaning "Dear to God"), Bistra.
The first BG General - General Major Sava Moutkourov, was born on that day in 1852
1/4/2017 10:00:00 AM
Colonel Sava Moutkourov, later promoted to General, was an active participant in the Unification (1885), in the Serbian-Bulgarian War (1885), he supported Stefan Sta...