The construction of the most famous contemporary park of Plovdiv is closely connected with the name of the Swiss gardener Lucien Schevallas, working at the end of the 19th century as a court gardener of Sultan Abdul Azis.
Schevallas arrived in Plovdiv at the invitation of the Chief Goverrnor of Eastern Roumelia - Aleko Bogoridy.
At the end of 1891 the area of about 70 decares, where the first Bulgarian Fair was to be built, was levelled away and cleared of garbage and bushes. At first, Schevallas put in the seeds of the different kinds of grass, then he planted the trees, and finally made the terraces, the lakes and the fountains. He bestowed special care on the big lake, which replaced the marshland existing on that spot.
In the eastern part of the Park an exquisite fountain with a statue was built - a work of the famous Italian sculptor Arnoldo Zocci. This is the only relic of the International Fair, remaining to this day in the Park.