Things to Know
Introduction To Bulgaria
The Cyrillic Alphabet & Bulgarian Language
Bulgarian Food & Cuisine
Beauty in the past of Bulgaria
Figures of Plovdiv
History of Plovdiv
Traditions & NameDays
International Kissing Day
International Kissing Day
7/6/2012 2:27:34 PM
Today is International Kissing Day or World Kiss Day. As the author of The Science of Kissing, what better way to celebrate than to share some fascinating facts about kissing:
• The earliest literary evidence for kissing comes from India’s Vedic Sanskrit texts, dating back 3,500 years.
• A passionate kiss can make our pupils dilate – probably one reason so many of us close our eyes.
• Two-thirds of us tilt our heads to the right when we kiss, and it’s not correlated with right-handedness.
• A man is far more likely to prefer sloppy tongue kisses than a woman. The added testosterone from his saliva may serve to enhance her libido over time.
• We are not the only species to engage in kissing-like behaviors. Great apes press their lips together to express excitement, affection, or reconciliation.
• In studies, people remember more of the details about a first kiss than first sexual experience.
• Kissing works like a drug in our bodies, and can promote dopamine – the same neurotransmitter stimulated from addictive drugs like cocaine.
• Our lips are packed with sensitive nerve endings so even a slight brush can send a cascade of pleasurable signals to the brain encouraging us to continue under the right circumstances.
Anniversary of the birth of Dr Obreiko Obreikov (1891 - 1969), the founder of the Plovdiv Fair
6/17/2013 9:00:00 AM
Born on June 17, 1891 in Plovdiv, Dr. Obreikov comes from an eminent Bulgarian Revival period family.
VIDOVDEN (Vido’s day) - June 15
6/15/2013 9:00:00 AM
That day is the feast of the last one of the hail-men family - sometimes interpreted as a brother, Vido, sometimes as a syster - Vida.
ELISSEY feastday (Liseh’s Day; St.Eliseus) - June 14
6/14/2013 9:00:00 AM
The traditional feast of Eliseus (also called Ellisey, Lisseh, Lisso or Lissey) is one of the thunder-maker feasts, alongside with German and Bartholomew.
Today is SPASSOVDEN
6/13/2013 9:00:00 AM
SPASSOVDEN (always on Thursday, 40 Days after Easter - “Ascension Day” or “Ascension of the Lord”): The great feast called the Spassovden or Ascension Day is connected to the eternal human wish for health and joy. The feast is a non-fixed one, and it is celebrated 40 days after Easter, always on Thursday.
VARTOLOMEY (St Bartholomew’s Day) - June 11
6/11/2013 11:00:00 AM
The feast is called Vartolomey or also Varti-Lomi (in association of storm and hail).
"Plovdiv is Reading" Literary Event
6/11/2013 10:00:00 AM
The 11th edition of the "Plovdiv is Reading" Literary Event is taking place June 11-16.
World Environment Day
6/5/2013 8:00:00 AM
World Environment Day celebrates its 41st Anniversary on 5th June 2013.
Today we celebrate "The Day of Botev and All Freedom Fighters Who Lost Their Lives for the Independence of Bulgaria"
6/2/2013 8:00:00 AM
That day has been appointed by a decree of the Ministerial Council dated May 31st 1993. It was first celebrated back in 1884 in Vratsa and Plovdiv.
Bulgaria marks the International children’s day
6/1/2013 9:00:00 AM
Bulgaria marks the International children’s day – June 1st. Festive celebrations, theatrical performances and concerts for the young ones are organized throughout the country.
Bulgarian Literacy and Culture Celebration Day - May 24th
5/24/2013 9:00:00 AM
Ever since the earliest Bulgarian manuscript books (preserved until today), we can trace the tradition to honor the two saint brothers - St Cyril (on February 14th) and St Methodius (on April 6th) ...