Things to Know
Introduction To Bulgaria
The Cyrillic Alphabet & Bulgarian Language
Bulgarian Food & Cuisine
Beauty in the past of Bulgaria
Figures of Plovdiv
History of Plovdiv
Traditions & NameDays
International Kissing Day
International Kissing Day
7/6/2016 11:00:00 AM
Today is International Kissing Day or World Kiss Day. As the author of The Science of Kissing, what better way to celebrate than to share some fascinating facts about kissing:
• The earliest literary evidence for kissing comes from India’s Vedic Sanskrit texts, dating back 3,500 years.
• A passionate kiss can make our pupils dilate – probably one reason so many of us close our eyes.
• Two-thirds of us tilt our heads to the right when we kiss, and it’s not correlated with right-handedness.
• A man is far more likely to prefer sloppy tongue kisses than a woman. The added testosterone from his saliva may serve to enhance her libido over time.
• We are not the only species to engage in kissing-like behaviors. Great apes press their lips together to express excitement, affection, or reconciliation.
• In studies, people remember more of the details about a first kiss than first sexual experience.
• Kissing works like a drug in our bodies, and can promote dopamine – the same neurotransmitter stimulated from addictive drugs like cocaine.
• Our lips are packed with sensitive nerve endings so even a slight brush can send a cascade of pleasurable signals to the brain encouraging us to continue under the right circumstances.
St. Annas Summer Feastday (Dormition of the Mother of the Holy Virgin)
7/25/2016 10:00:00 AM
Name day of everyone named Anna, Yana, Enko.
St. Prophet Ilia (Ilinden)
7/20/2016 9:00:00 AM
St. Ilia is a Judaic prophet and a wandering hermit, who lived in the time of the Israeli king of Ahav and queen Iesavel.
That day back in 791 AD, Bulgarian Army led by Khan Kardam won the battle by the Markella Fortress
7/20/2016 8:00:00 AM
The name of Kardam is first encountered in the Byzantine sources in 791, when Emperor Constantine VI embarked on an expedition against Bulgaria
Celebrating the anniversary of Levski birth
7/18/2016 9:00:00 AM
Celebrations of the 176th anniversary of Levskis birth will open July 14th, by a long-distance race.
Orthodox Christianity celebrates the day of ST. MARINA on July 17
7/17/2016 9:00:00 AM
It is the name day of everyone named Marin, Marina
7/15/2016 9:00:00 AM
The Orthodox Church commemorates on July 15, 16, and 17 the Saint Martyrs Kirik and Julita, Atinogen and Marina.
ST. PROCOPIUS, the Bee-Keeper
7/8/2016 9:00:00 AM
Name day of everyone named Prokopi.
July 7, 1550: Europeans Discover Chocolate
7/7/2016 8:00:00 AM
1550: Chocolate is introduced in Europe, and the Mexican drink creates a passion that endures after nearly half a millennium.
121 years of the bloody murder of Stefan Stambolov (January 31 1854 – July 6 1895)
7/6/2016 9:00:00 AM
Stambolov was born on January 31st, 1854, in the town of Veliko Turnovo. His ancestors originated from the small town of Tryavna.
7/5/2016 10:00:00 AM
Name day of everyone named Atanas, Atanaska (although they rather celebrate on January 18th of each year).