Current News

Current News

Feast day of St. John of Rila (a.k.a. Sveti Ivan Rilski) and the Rila Monastery

Feast day of St. John of Rila (a.k.a. Sveti Ivan Rilski) and the Rila Monastery

10/19/2017 9:00:00 AM

On 19 October the Bulgarian Church celebrates the discovery of the imperishable holy remains of St. John of Rila (a.k.a. Sveti Ivan Rilski) and also their moving to Sofia.















When the Hungarians led by their king Bella III conquered Sofia in 1183 they took the holy remains of St. John with them and carried them to their capital Estregon in order to receive the protection of the saint. Later the holy remains were taken back to Sofia by the Hungarian king who also sent a lot of gifts along with them and in 1195 the Bulgarian tzar Asen I conveyed the remains from Sofia to Veliko Tarnovo.















On 30 June 1469 the holy remains of the saint were taken back from Veliko Tarnovo to the Rila Monastery where they are treasured even today. The monastery is not only famous as the place where the saint has once lived but also as the place which has preserved the holy remains of its founder.

Nowadays the monastery is a testimony for the holiness of the saint?s life and for his presence in the lives of the believers in Bulgaria. That is why on 19 October the Rila Monastery celebrates. It celebrates the fact that it has been a holy place because of its founder - St. John of Rila.

The Lauta Park Project
8/9/2003 12:00:00 AM
The park that separates the central part of Plovdiv from the largest housing complex Trakia, is called the Lauta Park and is situated on a territory of 12 decares. Right next to the park a unique s...
Old Town houses restoration
Old Town houses restoration
8/8/2003 12:00:00 AM
As reported by BTA:Seven of the houses in the architectural preserved area ?Ancient Plovdiv? will be restored thanks to UNESCO fundingThat has been decided according to an agreement between...
The US rowers will be training in Plovdiv
Today?s edition of the Maritsa newspaper says that Glen Merry, the coach of the US national rowing team. He will study the equipment and the condition of the Plovdiv Rowing Canal and will decide wh...
An Exhibition-Bazaar at the Ethnographic Museum (August 4th ? 17th)
In an article in the SEGA newspaper from Oct.19th, 2001, Mr.Vassil Dolapchiev, Chairman of the Blind People Union, mentions the following facts: ?The state assigns only 150 000 leva annually for the b...
?Plovdiv on the top of Europe?
?Plovdiv on the top of Europe?
8/5/2003 12:00:00 AM
That is the motto of the Plovdiv Expedition that was organized in honor of the 100th anniversary from the first Bulgarian expedition that ever climbed the highest European peak Mount Blanc (4807 me...
Who can paint icons?
Who can paint icons?
7/31/2003 12:00:00 AM
We will try, by means of modern technologies and communications, to make it possible for all of you to get closer to the works of a contemporary icon-painter from Plovdiv, Yanko Kavrakov ? an artis...
Disneyland in Plovdiv ? expected opening May 1st, 2005
As pointed in the today?s edition of the Maritsa newspaper, there was an official meeting at the Municipality between the Plovdiv Mayor Mr.Ivan Chomakov amd investors and designers, regarding the c...
International Folklore Festival in Plovdiv
The Maritsa Newspaper informs its readers that the new 10th International Folklore Festival opens in Plovdiv today. The Festival Parade of 10 groups from Greece, Egypt, India, Italy, Columbia, Mexi...
The famous car rally Hebros is back again
The official opening of the Hebros Rally will be tomorrow, Saturday, July 26th, at 08:45 a.m. in front of the Maritsa Hotel. The start of the first car will be at exactly 09:31 a.m. The cars will r...
The Plovdiv Schools ? Municipality maintained
According to Ms.Vanya Atanassova, Manager of the Municipal Department of Science and Education, all the reconstruction works in Plovdiv schools and kindergartens will be finished in time for the ne...