Things to Know
Introduction To Bulgaria
The Cyrillic Alphabet & Bulgarian Language
Bulgarian Food & Cuisine
Beauty in the past of Bulgaria
Figures of Plovdiv
History of Plovdiv
Traditions & NameDays
International Kissing Day
International Kissing Day
7/6/2013 11:00:00 AM
Today is International Kissing Day or World Kiss Day. As the author of The Science of Kissing, what better way to celebrate than to share some fascinating facts about kissing:
• The earliest literary evidence for kissing comes from India’s Vedic Sanskrit texts, dating back 3,500 years.
• A passionate kiss can make our pupils dilate – probably one reason so many of us close our eyes.
• Two-thirds of us tilt our heads to the right when we kiss, and it’s not correlated with right-handedness.
• A man is far more likely to prefer sloppy tongue kisses than a woman. The added testosterone from his saliva may serve to enhance her libido over time.
• We are not the only species to engage in kissing-like behaviors. Great apes press their lips together to express excitement, affection, or reconciliation.
• In studies, people remember more of the details about a first kiss than first sexual experience.
• Kissing works like a drug in our bodies, and can promote dopamine – the same neurotransmitter stimulated from addictive drugs like cocaine.
• Our lips are packed with sensitive nerve endings so even a slight brush can send a cascade of pleasurable signals to the brain encouraging us to continue under the right circumstances.
ANINDEN (St. Anna’s Day - the Conception of the Holy Mother of God by Saint Anna)
12/9/2013 8:00:00 AM
Name day of everyone named Anna, Ana, Anita, Aneta, Anette.
33 years ago John Lennon was killed on that day...
12/8/2013 10:00:00 AM
Former Beatle John Lennon has been shot dead December 8th, 1980, by a gunman he did not know, who opened fire outside the musician's New York apartment.
December 8th - the Day University Students celebrate as their feastday
12/8/2013 8:00:00 AM
The start of that special feast goes back to the 1920, and is connected to the then-only BG University - the Sofia University St Kliment Ohridski.
207 years of the first early Bulgarian printed book
12/7/2013 8:00:00 AM
In 1806 the first early Bulgarian book Nedelnik (Kiriakodromion) written by Sofronii of Vratsa was printed.
NIKULDEN (St. Nicholas the Wonderworker)
12/6/2013 8:00:00 AM
Name day for everyone named Nikola, Nikolay, Kolyo, Nikolina, Neno, Nenka, Nikolina, Nina.
ST. SAVA (also: St. Savva or St. Sabbas the Sanctified)
12/5/2013 8:00:00 AM
Name day of everyone named Sava, Slavka, Slav, Vladislav, Slavi.
ST. VARVARA (St. Barbara) - December 4
12/4/2013 8:00:00 AM
Name day of everyone named Varvara, Barbara.
World AIDS Day
12/1/2013 9:00:00 AM
The ends of the red ribbon are pointed to the ground today, symbolizing the life that is disappearing.
Today is St.Andrews Day
11/30/2013 8:00:00 AM
Name day of everyone named Andrey, Andriana (the name has the meaning “masculine”, therefore “strong”).
KATERININDEN (St. Catherines Day)
11/24/2013 10:00:00 AM
Name day of everyone named Ekaterina, Katerina, Katya.